Aussie Rules – The Vietnam Swans
The Vietnam Swans are an inclusive, nationally focused sporting and social club built around the sport of Australian Rules Football. We have an active membership across Vietnam, including Danang, Hanoi, Hoi An, Ho Chi Minh City and Vung Tau, in addition to the many supporters and former players in Australia and across the globe.
The Swans priorities include:
- Playing and growing Australian Rules Football in Vietnam
- Introducing Vietnamese locals to ‘our great game’
- Strengthening Australian ties in Vietnam, while encouraging people of all backgrounds to participate
- Supporting and improving the community we live in
- Travelling to play football games throughout the region
- On field success – winning matches & tournaments
Highlights of our year include the annual ANZAC Friendship Match in Vung Tau, hosting official AFL Grand Final Parties, home fixtures in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, and travelling around the Asian region for games and tournaments including:
- AFL Asian Championships
- Indochina Cup
- Manila Cup
- Central Vietnam Games
In 2014 the Swans formed an official partnership with the Ladies Saigon Gaels Gaelic Football Club, who we train alongside on a weekly basis. A position on the Swans Leadership Group has been made available for a representative from the Gaels, and we regularly hold social functions and joint-tours together.
We also work and play closely with other sporting clubs in Vietnam, including the Viet Celts Gaelic Football Club in Hanoi, the Saigon Shooters and Hanoi Oi’s Netball Clubs, the Saigon Gecko’s and Hanoi Dragons Rugby Clubs, and the Saigon Australian Cricket Club.